Sunday, April 22, 2007

Bringing Up Father

feeling a little......scattered and edgy.

i haven been able to settle myself down mentally for the whole day. perhaps due to my getting up from the wrong side of the bed this morning. maybe the weather's causing all this. and the series of events yesterday and today, have not helped. actually, a series of events caused by one person - my dad.

J's gone to China for the wk so im left with some spare time on my hands. my dad seems to think that equates to time spent with him. alittle about my parents first. they are not sociable animals. well, neither are their 2 offspring for that matter but my sis and i fare better than them in having a social life. i guess mum and dad come from the bloodline that is heavy on the family ties and less onexternal relationships. so much so that their lives revolve around namely 2 things, work and family. so other than the members of our little party of four (now three, minus my sis), my parents have not much else to focus their attention on.

my mum's pretty ok actually. now that both her children have grown up and are independent enough, she goes out with frens for dinner, visits grandma, does social work, joins karaoke lessons while still holding a post retirement job.

my dad on the other hand. isnt retired yet, which i think he should and get himself a life. and he doesnt do anything else except go to work and then whiling the rest of the day away. and for that matter, he is allowed to work from home which he is exercising the policy to the fullest. so if u notice. he is pretty much jus spending his time at home doing pretty much nothing. trying to find something to take up his time. which leads to how it is bothering me.

my dad doesnt like to talk much to my mum. they talk. but not on a very conversation-ish level. usually it will be my mum complaining about something and he will be.......hearing. not listening. and his lack of a social circle leaves my dad with no one else to talk to or hang out with. except me. which i try my best to accomodate. but it stretches my nerves sometimes.

generally, my parents do not get it that their kids like their personal space and time. i believe that's a generally true statement for most parents. so it gets on my nerves that my dad comes into my room and plonks himself on my bed. it also gets on my nerves the way he tries to call out to me or my sis. he doesnt call our names. he has to whistle. a long, shrill and annoying whistle. sometimes early in the morning too.

imagine waking up in the morning, feeling all crabby bcos u did not have enough sleep, your mouth feels like sandpaper, looking frumpy and then someone starts to whistle to call out to you. it's a tune u have never heard. it has jus 2 notes, one short and then one really long one that is drawn out long and shrill.

incidentally, that is a perfect example of one of the reasons why my dad lacks a social life. he does these kinda things. he has zero sense of timing. heck, the whole whistling thing is jus stupid.

there are times i feel like a teenager all over again, ranting abt all of this. but i dont think ill ever stop anyhow. or anyone in this world would no matter wat age they are at.

anywayz, im off to judge the T&As of this year's miss sg universe. my bets are on Jessica Tan. she seems to have the right set of Ts and a great A to complement them with.

J: you have the best T&As dear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home